Release date: 10/25/2018
STATESVILLE, NC – The Farm Credit Associations of North Carolina purchased the Grand Champion Meat Goat with a winning bid of $15,500. Carolina Farm Credit partnered with AgCarolina Farm Credit and Cape Fear Farm Credit to support the NC State Fair Jr. Livestock Sale of Champions. The winning goat was exhibited by Caley Mayo of Whitakers, NC. Mayo will receive 60% of the purchase amount, while the remaining 40% will go to support youth scholarships and livestock programs in North Carolina.
This year’s Jr. Livestock Sale of Champions was held on October 13th and brought in $190,000 to benefit youth scholarships and livestock programs. “The Junior Livestock Sale of Champions is yet another way that the Farm Credit Associations of North Carolina helps to support young people that are involved in preserving the future of agriculture in our state.” said Carolina Farm Credit CEO Vance Dalton.
Carolina Farm Credit is a stockholder-owned cooperative providing financing to full and part-time farmers and agricultural-related businesses and also provides financing for the construction and purchase of homes in 54 counties through 32 branch offices. Other financial services available are credit life insurance, appraisal services, leasing programs and financial planning.
For 100 years Farm Credit has been supporting rural communities and agriculture with reliable, consistent credit and financial services.
Carolina Farm Credit serves over 10,000 members with loans outstanding totaling more than $1.5 billion. The association’s territory covers the western half of North Carolina, with branch offices located in Albemarle, Asheboro, Asheville, Boone, Browns Summit, Burnsville, Carthage, Concord, Conover, Ellerbe, Graham, Hendersonville, Jefferson, Lenoir, Lexington, Lincolnton, Monroe, Murphy, Pilot Mountain, Roxboro, Rural Hall, Salisbury, Shelby, Siler City, Sparta, Spindale, Statesville, Taylorsville, Waynesville, Wilkesboro, Yadkinville, and Yanceyville.
Directors for Carolina Farm Credit are W. Rex Bell, Chairman, Statesville, David M. Coltrane, Vice-Chairman, Pleasant Garden; John M. Barnard, Statesville; E. Bernard Beck, Seagrove; Mark A. Bray, Lawsonville; Susie J. Gambill, Sparta; Joseph A. Lail, Shelby; Clark M. Newlin, Haw River; Thomas E. Porter, Jr., Concord; Eric McPherson, Snow Camp; D. Kaleb Rathbone, Waynesville; Lewis E. Smith, Lincolnton; Vickie N. Smitherman, East Bend; L. Kim Starnes, Salisbury; Dr. Alton Thompson, Summerfield.
Read issues of our magazine to get association and member news.
Sign up for our email newsletter.
Did you know our local branches post news for their areas? See what's going on around you——find your branch on our locations page.